August 25, 2014 9:40:09 AM
ABERDEEN -- A West Point man died Saturday night after he was involved in a one-car, single-passenger accident on Highway 45.
Antonio Gardner, 40, died from multiple injuries after his Ford F-150 left the highway and crashed in the median, according to Monroe County coroner Alan Gurley.
Gardner was driving south on Highway 45, just south of Highway 8, when the accident occurred, Gurley said.
Gardner, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was ejected from the vehicle, according to Gurley.
Gardner was transported to North Mississippi Medical Center in West Point. He was pronounced dead on arrival.
Speed was a contributing factor in the accident, according to the coroner.
A toxicology report will be sent to Jackson to determine if alcohol was involved. An autopsy will not be performed.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol is investigating.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Sturgis man arrested for attacking females STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Police identify armed robbery suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Groomed for the moment: MSU student fulfills childhood dream to be Miss Mississippi STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Gaining a seat at the table: Bulldog Bytes STEM camp encourages girls to pursue computer science COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. City construction projects progressing COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY