August 26, 2014 9:33:31 AM
The murder trial involving a Steens man accused of shooting his wife's lover is scheduled to begin today in Lowndes County Circuit Court.
George Strickland, 49, of 6214 Highway 50 E., is charged with murder in the 2011 fatal shooting of 36-year-old Christopher George.
Strickland allegedly shot George after he found him in bed with his wife, according to investigators. The men got into a verbal altercation in the hallway of the couple's Steens home, according to investigators.
George was shot multiple times. He was pronounced dead at the scene. George was living with the couple at the time of the incident.
Strickland is claiming self-defense. He is represented by attorney Carrie Jourdan.
Strickland is also charged with aggravated assault. The aggravated assault charge stems from Strickland allegedly shooting at his wife during the incident.
Strickland is out of jail on a $100,000 bond, according to records at the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. CRA distances itself from Realtor's 'threatening' letters to Burns Bottom property owners COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Developer agrees to purchase Lee for $450K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dispatch earns 16 Press Association awards COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Greco joins Dispatch as government reporter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 'This is a place for miracles': Church formerly on the brink of condemnation celebrates fresh start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY