August 27, 2014 10:44:19 AM
WEST POINT -- Police Chief Tim Brinkley says he's called in the FBI to help investigate a fight that hospitalized a 32-year-old man.
Brinkley says 22-year-old Courtez McMillian of Okolona has been arraigned on aggravated assault, with bond of $250,000.
He says an attorney will be appointed if McMillian doesn't hire one.
It was not clear just when McMillian was arraigned. A news release sent Tuesday evening was dated "Monday, August 26" and said McMillian was charged "yesterday." McMillian was arrested Monday.
David Knighten says he and Ralph Weems, who are white, apparently were followed Saturday from a restaurant where Weems argued with black patrons to another where Weems was beaten.
A hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday that Weems remains in fair condition.
Brinkley says a grand jury will decide whether to charge McMillian with a hate crime.
1. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mother of downtown shooting suspect jailed for allegedly threatening witness COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. City: Law supports slashing businesses' hours COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Little: Aldermen 'overreach' in handling officer incident STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Perception and reality: Downtown business owners grapple with fallout from shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY