August 27, 2014 10:44:19 AM
WEST POINT -- Police Chief Tim Brinkley says he's called in the FBI to help investigate a fight that hospitalized a 32-year-old man.
Brinkley says 22-year-old Courtez McMillian of Okolona has been arraigned on aggravated assault, with bond of $250,000.
He says an attorney will be appointed if McMillian doesn't hire one.
It was not clear just when McMillian was arraigned. A news release sent Tuesday evening was dated "Monday, August 26" and said McMillian was charged "yesterday." McMillian was arrested Monday.
David Knighten says he and Ralph Weems, who are white, apparently were followed Saturday from a restaurant where Weems argued with black patrons to another where Weems was beaten.
A hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday that Weems remains in fair condition.
Brinkley says a grand jury will decide whether to charge McMillian with a hate crime.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS