August 29, 2014 10:11:36 AM
WEST POINT -- A second man has been arrested in connection with a weekend fight that left one man in a coma after he was found laying in a restaurant's parking lot.
Marquavious McMillian, 20, of Aberdeen, was arrested Thursday by the West Point Police Department. He was charged with one count of aggravated assault for his alleged role in a fight that took place in the Huddle House parking lot Saturday morning.
Ralph Weems IV, 32, was severely injured in the incident. A spokesperson with North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo, where Weems remains, could not be reached for comment this morning.
Courtez McMillian, 22, of Okolona, was arrested Monday and also charged with one count of aggravated assault. Police are not saying if the alleged offenders are related.
Both men received a $250,000 bond. Authorities declined to comment on whether the men were related.
The case has drawn national attention for its racial undertones after a witness said Weems was beaten because he was white. The two men arrested for alleged roles in the incident are black. Police Chief Tim Brinkley has said evidence does not support claims the incident was racially motivated.
The investigation is ongoing. Witnesses are still being interviewed, according to Brinkley.
The case will be presented to the grand jury in October. Brinkley said the grand jury will decide if the case should be elevated to a hate crime.
Anyone with information is asked to call Golden Triangle CrimeStoppers at 800-530-7151 or the West Point PD at 662-494-1244.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Proposed pay raise for councilmen fails COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Woman arrested for alleged box cutter attack COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Building hope: World Changers mission takes on 14 projects in Lowndes Co. COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY