September 3, 2014 10:21:43 AM
VANCLEAVE -- Authorities say an improvised explosive device found under a vehicle in Vancleave has been disassembled by the Biloxi bomb squad.
Bomb Squad Commander John Campbell says the Jackson County Sheriff's Office got a call around 3 p.m. Monday about a suspicious package. That's when the sheriff's office contacted the Biloxi bomb squad.
No arrests have been made and injuries were not reported.
Campbell says the device was a pill bottle that contained gun powder and BBs and it was wrapped in duct tape with a homemade fuse.
He says it didn't operate correctly.
Campbell says the dismantled device is now with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives for further investigation.
IEDs are considered a destructive device. Making one is a federal offense.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. One dead after downtown Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A truly multi-purpose playground COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY