September 4, 2014 10:58:13 AM
A Lowndes county man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for the 2011 shooting death of his wife's lover.
George Strickland, 49, of 6214 Hwy. 50 E., was sentenced in Lowndes County Circuit Court on Wednesday after a jury found him guilty of manslaughter late last week.
Strickland shot and killed 36-year-old Christopher George after he found him with his wife, according to investigators. The men got into a verbal altercation. George was shot multiple times. Strickland claimed self-defense, saying George pulled a knife on him.
Judge Jim Kitchens sentenced Strickland to 20 years with the Mississippi Department of Corrections with five suspended. He also received five years of post release supervision.
Sarah Fowler covers crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Steens woman dies in Lowndes Co. wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes Co. child dies after weekend crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Is Cracker Barrel coming to Columbus? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CMSD introduces after school program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CMSD invests $2M in district's athletic facilities COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY