September 4, 2014 10:58:13 AM
A Lowndes county man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for the 2011 shooting death of his wife's lover.
George Strickland, 49, of 6214 Hwy. 50 E., was sentenced in Lowndes County Circuit Court on Wednesday after a jury found him guilty of manslaughter late last week.
Strickland shot and killed 36-year-old Christopher George after he found him with his wife, according to investigators. The men got into a verbal altercation. George was shot multiple times. Strickland claimed self-defense, saying George pulled a knife on him.
Judge Jim Kitchens sentenced Strickland to 20 years with the Mississippi Department of Corrections with five suspended. He also received five years of post release supervision.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. MSMS teacher wins national award for math, science teachers COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Suspected burglar arrested at courthouse COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Bud and Burgers event canceled COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Oktibbeha road plan draft calls for $2M in work STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. MUW planning new culinary arts building COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY