November 4, 2009 9:45:00 AM
Recreation is on the way for southern Lowndes County.
The Columbus-Lowndes Recreation Authority voted Monday to accept a donation of land for a new softball field on Minnie Vaughn Road West in the Plum Grove community.
Weyerhaeuser will donate the 10 acres of land, which sits adjacent to the Plum Grove Community Center, after swapping 10 acres on Carson Road to Glen Mast, owner of Mast Farms LLC.
Mast said the county requested the land to build a softball field, and Weyerhauser offered to help.
"We worked together with Weyerhaeuser so we could get it done," he said.
Roger Short, executive director of the CLRA, said work on the softball field will begin as soon as all the paperwork is signed, but no timetable has been set for completion.
Lowndes County will fund the field''s construction -- estimated at $40,000 to $50,000, according to District 4 Supervisor Jeff Smith -- and mow the grass after it''s completed, but additional maintenance will be the CLRA''s responsibility.
1. Last two antebellum homes in Starkville for sale; one could be torn down STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. MDOT unveils Highway 82 interchange improvements COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Letting out their 'inner geek': Second Columbus Comic Con bigger, better than last year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Sheriff: New deputy hires will expand shift coverage STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Council approves $232K in employee raises COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY