October 24, 2014 9:47:46 AM
JACKSON -- The Mississippi Republican Party says it has stopped using a promotional email that included photos of two college football players without permission of the players or their schools.
GOP spokesman Bobby Morgan says the party was made aware that using photos might violate NCAA rules.
The party sent an email this week with the words: "One Mississippi. Two Mississippi. Three Mississippi."
A photo of Mississippi State's Jamerson Love was next to number one, designating the Bulldogs' top ranking. The email said a group had ranked the state as number two in oil and gas development. By number three was a photo of Ole Miss' Cody Prewitt, showing the Rebels' ranking.
The images were part of an email seeking support for Sen. Thad Cochran, who faces Democrat Travis Childers Nov. 4.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Brown picks former SHS teacher for recognition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Feeding the needy: Food drives lend helping hand for Thanksgiving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY