November 14, 2009 7:02:00 PM
Robert Penn Taylor, a former Lowndes County sheriff and longtime board member of 4-County Electric Power Association, died Saturday evening at Windsor Place Retirement Home, county Coroner Lonnie Weaver said. He was 89.
"He was one of those characters who was larger than life," Weaver said. "He was quite a character. A lot of folks knew him."
Taylor, who died of natural causes, served as sheriff in the late 1960s, Weaver said.
Funeral services for Taylor will be handled by Memorial Funeral Home.
TG commented at 11/15/2009 9:09:00 AM:
Penn Taylor was a great Sheriff. His word was his Bond and thats a great thing to say about a man.
1. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Trio gets 40 years for pizza delivery robberies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Check warns Oktibbeha County 'not big enough' for two ambulance services STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Man faces assault charge for Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. SPD, OSCO launch seat belt enforcement campaign STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY