November 14, 2009 7:02:00 PM
Robert Penn Taylor, a former Lowndes County sheriff and longtime board member of 4-County Electric Power Association, died Saturday evening at Windsor Place Retirement Home, county Coroner Lonnie Weaver said. He was 89.
"He was one of those characters who was larger than life," Weaver said. "He was quite a character. A lot of folks knew him."
Taylor, who died of natural causes, served as sheriff in the late 1960s, Weaver said.
Funeral services for Taylor will be handled by Memorial Funeral Home.
TG commented at 11/15/2009 9:09:00 AM:
Penn Taylor was a great Sheriff. His word was his Bond and thats a great thing to say about a man.
1. Affidavits: West Point man allegedly bound male victim, raped female STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Area high school students earn national scholarships COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Weyerhaeuser to sell Columbus mills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'Music 4 U' launching in Miss. this month COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. 12 county, city officials miss financial disclosure deadline STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY