November 14, 2009 7:02:00 PM
Robert Penn Taylor, a former Lowndes County sheriff and longtime board member of 4-County Electric Power Association, died Saturday evening at Windsor Place Retirement Home, county Coroner Lonnie Weaver said. He was 89.
"He was one of those characters who was larger than life," Weaver said. "He was quite a character. A lot of folks knew him."
Taylor, who died of natural causes, served as sheriff in the late 1960s, Weaver said.
Funeral services for Taylor will be handled by Memorial Funeral Home.
TG commented at 11/15/2009 9:09:00 AM:
Penn Taylor was a great Sheriff. His word was his Bond and thats a great thing to say about a man.
1. CMS exhibits culture of giving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus police seek bank fraud suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex park ranger gets 5 years for child exploitation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus woman dies in car crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. GSDP board silent on CEO resignation STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY