November 23, 2009 3:24:00 PM
STARKVILLE -- The Oktibbeha County Sheriff''s Department is investigating the death of a hunter found shot Sunday morning near the Choctaw County line.
Douglas Marion Childs, 32, of Jeff Peay Road, was found dead shortly after 7 a.m. in a wooded area about 30 feet from Hawkins Road in western Oktibbeha County, said OCSD Chief Deputy George Carrithers. Childs and several others had been hunting in the area, Carrithers said, and one man reported hearing a gunshot and a cry of "Oh no."
One of the hunters went to the area to investigate the gunshot and came across Childs'' body, Carrithers said. An autopsy was scheduled Sunday at the Mississippi Crime Lab in Jackson.
The Sheriff''s Department is still investigating the incident, Carrithers said. Anyone with information is encouraged to call OCSD at 662-323-2421.
In an unrelated incident, the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks is investigating a case involving a 13-year-old boy who shot off his little finger in an apparent hunting accident.
Capt. Clark McMinn, Conservation Manager at the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks'' District 1 office in Tupelo, confirmed the incident did take place, but did not have additional details, including the location.
"That incident is under investigation since it appeared to be a hunting-related incident," McMinn said.
Attempts to get additional information from the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks'' Jackson office were unsuccessful.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. One dead after downtown Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A truly multi-purpose playground COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY