November 23, 2009 3:24:00 PM
STARKVILLE -- The Oktibbeha County Sheriff''s Department is investigating the death of a hunter found shot Sunday morning near the Choctaw County line.
Douglas Marion Childs, 32, of Jeff Peay Road, was found dead shortly after 7 a.m. in a wooded area about 30 feet from Hawkins Road in western Oktibbeha County, said OCSD Chief Deputy George Carrithers. Childs and several others had been hunting in the area, Carrithers said, and one man reported hearing a gunshot and a cry of "Oh no."
One of the hunters went to the area to investigate the gunshot and came across Childs'' body, Carrithers said. An autopsy was scheduled Sunday at the Mississippi Crime Lab in Jackson.
The Sheriff''s Department is still investigating the incident, Carrithers said. Anyone with information is encouraged to call OCSD at 662-323-2421.
In an unrelated incident, the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks is investigating a case involving a 13-year-old boy who shot off his little finger in an apparent hunting accident.
Capt. Clark McMinn, Conservation Manager at the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks'' District 1 office in Tupelo, confirmed the incident did take place, but did not have additional details, including the location.
"That incident is under investigation since it appeared to be a hunting-related incident," McMinn said.
Attempts to get additional information from the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks'' Jackson office were unsuccessful.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Former alderman: LGBT issues expected under 'lesbian leadership' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Attempted kidnapping suspect back in custody after manhunt STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Bond reinstated for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lawsuit looms for Starkville over parade denial STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY