December 18, 2014 11:00:07 AM
Columbus' Christmas-music caravan stops Sunday at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Columbus for a Service of Nine Lessons and Carols. The service starts at 6 p.m. and features the church choir in carols and anthems that accompany nine biblical readings.
The readings begin with Old Testament prophesies of the coming of the Messiah and end with New Testament accounts of the birth of Jesus. Rector Anne Harris will welcome those attending. Choirmaster Jeremy Adcock will conduct the choir, and Len Bobo will be the guest organist. Bobo is former chairman of the Music Department at East Central Community College.
"Each year we offer this traditional English service to the community of Columbus," said Harris.
"We invite everyone to come and hear the promises of God. We are happy for all to sing with us the proclamations of hope expressed in our Advent hymns and Christmas carols."
St. Paul's uses the version of the service begun in 1918 at King's College of Cambridge University. The school repeats the service each year for a worldwide broadcast.
Among this year's carols are "O Come, All Ye Faithful," "What Child is This?" and "Angels We Have Heard on High."
"It's a pleasure to welcome Len Bobo to St. Paul's to add to this annual service," Adcock said. "Our choir looks forward to this annual community service and to the special music it includes. We are happy to make this musical offering to the city."
The church nursery will be open in the parish hall. The program lasts about one hour.
St. Paul's is located at 318 College St.
1. Sticking together: Triplets coming to MSU together after brother's acceptance to ACCESS program STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Monday profile: Local antique shop owner offers wisdom on helping others COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Suspect nabbed for harassing phone calls to business COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Retail Coach to update council on progress COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man arrested for allegedly shooting into a dwelling COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY