December 16, 2009 10:55:00 AM
The Mississippi Highway Patrol continues investigating a one-vehicle accident that took place Monday morning, resulting in the death of a Millport, Ala. resident.
Brian Mobley, Public Affairs Officer for Troop G of the Mississippi Highway Patrol said Thomas Thaxton, 67 died when he was ejected from his 1996 white Chevrolet Blazer on Highway 50 East, two miles east of Columbus.
"From what has been determined, Thaxton ran off the road on the right hand side, got back on, then went off on the left hand side and overturned several times," he said.
Mobley said Thaxton was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident.
"There were no signs of a seat belt or airbag," he said.
Mobley said the accident occurred before 11 a.m. He said Thaxton''s body was transported to the Lowndes County morgue.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant said the cause of death for Thaxton was head trauma.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Local pilot gets 10 months in British jail for alcohol COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville aldermen sending potential case against former officer to DA's office STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY