December 26, 2009 11:12:00 PM
The state school board recently voted to modify grant awards for the fiscal year 2008 Even Start Family Literacy Program.
The purpose of the grant is to "help break the cycle of poverty and illiteracy by improving educational opportunities for low-income families through the integration of early childhood education, adult literacy and parenting education," the Mississippi Department of Education said in a press release.
Total modified grant award is $856,774.50, $76,490.53 of which was awarded to the Starkville School District.
Other districts receiving 2008 Even Start Family Literacy Program grant funds are:
- Benoit School District: $76,490.52
- Cleveland School District: $103,005.84
- Franklin County School District: $53,990.52
- Good Shepherd (Partnership with Vicksburg- Warren): $94,123.02
- Lauderdale County School: $75,000.00
- Leaf River Family Services Consortium (Petal Schools): $146,146.86
- Leflore County School: $78,844.93
- Montgomery County School District: $53,990.53
- West Tallahatchie School District: $98,691.75
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Starkville aldermen sending potential case against former officer to DA's office STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY