December 28, 2009 10:32:00 AM
Local highways were active over the Christmas weekend with 25 accidents and eight DUI arrests. But no fatalities were reported and only four individuals were injured in auto accidents.
Mississippi Highway Patrol Troop G in Starkville, which serves Calhoun, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Clay, Lowndes, Monroe, Noxubee, Oktibbeha, Webster and Winston counties, issued 437 citations over the weekend, including the eight DUIs. Public Information Officer Brian Mobley said Troop G issued 262 hazard citations, 142 non-hazard citations, 18 seat belt citations and seven child restraint citations.
Statewide, two fatalities were reported in Batesville and Hattiesburg from a total of 193 wrecks, four of which were alcohol related. Eighty-five DUI arrests were made along with three narcotics arrests and three felony arrests. Thirty-four individuals were injured in wrecks.
The MHP issued a total of 6,039 citations including 3,739 hazard violations and 2,039 non-hazard violations.
A hazard includes violations such as speeding, reckless driving or following too close. Non-hazards include violations such as expired tags or driving on a suspended license.
1. CMSD funding request alarms mayor, council COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Early College High School grows in second year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mother arrested after newborn tests positive for drugs STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. 'World Changers' serves Golden Triangle for third year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Hattiesburg passes over SOCSD official for superintendent STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY