January 4, 2010 10:29:00 AM
Two Mississippi motorists lost their lives over the New Year''s weekend.
Mississippi Highway Patrol troops in Hattiesburg and Greenwood each responded to fatal accidents during the period from noon Thursday to midnight Sunday.
MHP Troop G in Starkville, which serves 10 surrounding counties, responded to 19 collisions resulting in two injuries over the weekend. None of the collisions were alcohol related.
Local troopers made six DUI arrests and issued citations for 313 hazard violations, 277 non-hazard violations, 31 seatbelt violations and 11 child restraint violations.
Statewide, troopers made 150 DUI arrests, 16 drug arrests and six felony arrests. One hundred twenty three collisions were attended resulting in 31 injuries. Five of those collisions were alcohol related.
Troopers issued citations for 4,056 hazard violations, 2,765 non-hazard violations, 204 seat belt violations and 59 child restraint violations.
A hazard includes violations such as speeding, reckless driving or following too close. Non-hazards include violations such as expired tags or driving on a suspended license.
1. Armyworms ravaging yards, pastures COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Holloway convicted on simple assault charges STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Golden Triangle native asks for children's books to restock Baton Rouge library COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Missing Starkville woman returns home STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Property re-appraisals show stability in real estate market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY