January 4, 2010 10:29:00 AM
Two Mississippi motorists lost their lives over the New Year''s weekend.
Mississippi Highway Patrol troops in Hattiesburg and Greenwood each responded to fatal accidents during the period from noon Thursday to midnight Sunday.
MHP Troop G in Starkville, which serves 10 surrounding counties, responded to 19 collisions resulting in two injuries over the weekend. None of the collisions were alcohol related.
Local troopers made six DUI arrests and issued citations for 313 hazard violations, 277 non-hazard violations, 31 seatbelt violations and 11 child restraint violations.
Statewide, troopers made 150 DUI arrests, 16 drug arrests and six felony arrests. One hundred twenty three collisions were attended resulting in 31 injuries. Five of those collisions were alcohol related.
Troopers issued citations for 4,056 hazard violations, 2,765 non-hazard violations, 204 seat belt violations and 59 child restraint violations.
A hazard includes violations such as speeding, reckless driving or following too close. Non-hazards include violations such as expired tags or driving on a suspended license.
1. CRA distances itself from Realtor's 'threatening' letters to Burns Bottom property owners COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Developer agrees to purchase Lee for $450K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Dispatch earns 16 Press Association awards COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'This is a place for miracles': Church formerly on the brink of condemnation celebrates fresh start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Greco joins Dispatch as government reporter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY