March 2, 2009
In addition to the current members of the Columbus City Council and Mayor Robert Smith, five city residents have qualified to seek election in the upcoming municipal elections.
Kabir Karriem has qualified for the Ward 5 council seat currently held by Jay Jordan, who also serves as vice mayor.
Kenneth McFarland also has qualified to seek the Ward 5 seat.
Additionally, Bill Gavin qualified to run for the Ward 6 council seat, currently held by Jerry Kendall; Charles E. "Charlie" Box qualified to seek the Ward 3 seat currently held by Gene Coleman and Joseph Mickens is seeking the Ward 2 seat, currently held by Susan Mackay.
The deadline to qualify is March 6; the municipal election primary will be held May 5.
If a runoff election is necessary, it will be held May 19.
The general election is June 2; those elected will be sworn into office July 6 and will serve until 2013.
1. Child dies in morning blaze COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Four have qualified for Dist. 17 seat COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus man arrested for Friday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. West Nile case confirmed in Lowndes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Wal-Mart Markets opening in Miss. BUSINESS