March 8, 2010 9:47:00 AM
A West Point resident turned himself in to police over the weekend, and has been charged in connection with last Monday''s fire at the West Point Wal-Mart.
West Point Police Chief Bobby Lane said Eric Edwards, 22, of 519 Mayhew St. in West Point, has been charged with arson.
"He turned himself in between 10 and 10:30 Friday morning. He was being investigated by our department in regard to the fire last Monday. Apparently, he knew we were looking for him, so he turned himself in," he said.
No one was injured in the small fire, which was quickly contained by West Point Fire Department personnel.
Edwards remains in custody at the Clay County Jail on a $50,000 bond. Lane said he is scheduled to appear in municipal court in West Point Tuesday for arraignment.
Lane said if Edwards is convicted, he could be sentenced to serve anywhere from a minimum of five years to a maximum of 20 years, in prison, and ordered to pay restitution up to $10,000.
1. The Mill: 'It's really coming together' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Man dies after Saturday shooting in Holly Hills COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Allgood, Colom face off for DA COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Columbus council expected to make two CMSD board appointments COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Oktibbeha elections set as last-minute qualifiers enter races STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY