November 1, 2016 10:50:07 AM
An Alabama man will spend 15 years in the Mississippi Department of Corrections after pleading guilty Monday to his role in a March 2015 shooting at Starkville Raceway.
Deanthony Sanders, 23, of Aliceville, pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in Oktibbeha County Circuit Court. He was indicted for attempted murder for allegedly shooting Deangelo White at the raceway and attempting to flee to Alabama.
He received a 20-year sentence with five years suspended.
According to affidavits, Sanders shot White in the arm and torso following a verbal dispute at the crowded raceway, located on Old West Point Road. Authorities estimated as many as 200 people were at the scene when Sanders opened fire.
Brooksville police and Mississippi Highway Patrol officers stopped Sanders' vehicle in Noxubee County near the Alabama line on the night of the incident, affidavits said, and found a Taurus 9mm that forensically matched a bullet casing from the gun used in the shooting.
Assistant District Attorney Marc Amos, who prosecuted the case, said Sanders' right hand tested positive for gunshot residue, indicating he was the shooter. Amos accredited law enforcement efforts with the outcome of the case.
"Oktibbeha County Sheriff's Department was able to collect a wealth of forensic evidence in this investigation ... (it) helped to cement the evidence against Mr. Sanders," Amos said.
Sanders' attorney Ben Lang declined to comment on the case.
Lyzell McCaa, also 23 of Aliceville, was also arrested in connection with the incident. He faces an accessory charge.
1. SPD: Shooting victim in stable condition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Trial set for house parent accused of sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Problem solver: LINK intern spends summer developing research-based guide for Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cashing in on life's lemons: Inaugural Lemonade Day in Starkville draws young entrepreneurs from across area STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Person injured in reported accidental shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY