April 9, 2010 4:06:00 PM
OXFORD -- University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones has announced a campaign to raise $100 million to help the school attract and retain faculty.
Jones made the announcement during his official investiture Friday as Ole Miss'' 16th chancellor.
Jones says donations could be made to the new Barnard Endowment for Faculty Support as well as for the creation of faculty chairs, professorships and lectureships.
The UM Foundation will lead the campaign.
Jones says faculty members have been able to overcome funding challenges and receive national recognition for their work.
He says compared to similar schools, Ole Miss has had below-average per-student funding and below-average faculty compensation.
Jones took office July 1, following the retirement of Chancellor Robert Khayat.
1. Convictions for police officer defendants rare COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. New Columbus Arts Council director looks for more long-term donations COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. The Book of Joe: LINK CEO Higgins enlists ghostwriter to work on book project COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Police identify armed robbery suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Officials respond to voting concerns at Union precinct COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY