April 9, 2010 4:06:00 PM
OXFORD -- University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones has announced a campaign to raise $100 million to help the school attract and retain faculty.
Jones made the announcement during his official investiture Friday as Ole Miss'' 16th chancellor.
Jones says donations could be made to the new Barnard Endowment for Faculty Support as well as for the creation of faculty chairs, professorships and lectureships.
The UM Foundation will lead the campaign.
Jones says faculty members have been able to overcome funding challenges and receive national recognition for their work.
He says compared to similar schools, Ole Miss has had below-average per-student funding and below-average faculty compensation.
Jones took office July 1, following the retirement of Chancellor Robert Khayat.
1. Historic Columbus depot has a buyer COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CMSD board buys new books COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A year in, is J5 Broaddus saving Columbus money? COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lowndes man found guilty of manslaughter COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. County working on possible storm shelter project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY