April 9, 2010 4:06:00 PM
OXFORD -- University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones has announced a campaign to raise $100 million to help the school attract and retain faculty.
Jones made the announcement during his official investiture Friday as Ole Miss'' 16th chancellor.
Jones says donations could be made to the new Barnard Endowment for Faculty Support as well as for the creation of faculty chairs, professorships and lectureships.
The UM Foundation will lead the campaign.
Jones says faculty members have been able to overcome funding challenges and receive national recognition for their work.
He says compared to similar schools, Ole Miss has had below-average per-student funding and below-average faculty compensation.
Jones took office July 1, following the retirement of Chancellor Robert Khayat.
1. Saturday night fire destroys Columbus home COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Open Meetings Act violation claim expected against Starkville STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Bill targeting open meetings has Columbus roots COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. SPD seek armed robbery suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. After 11 years as EMCC president, Young stepping down COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY