May 19, 2017 10:39:15 AM
A Columbus man whose body was found in Luxapalila Creek Monday drowned in what was most likely an accident.
Preliminary autopsy results indicate 54-year-old George Cotton's death was an accidental freshwater drowning, according to Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant. His body showed no signs of traumatic injuries to suggest foul play.
Merchant said toxicology results are still forthcoming, although he did not specify a timeframe for those being released.
Cotton had not been seen since May 9. Family members reported him missing to the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office last Friday.
Cotton's body was discovered in Luxapalila Creek Monday at about 8 a.m. A team from Columbus Fire and Rescue recovered his body from the creek. Officers with LCSO and Columbus Police Department also responded to the scene.
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes supes OK budget with deficit, tax increase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Aldermen pass amended alcohol ordinance STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Princess owner plans to reopen theater COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY