June 6, 2017 10:11:19 AM
BROOKHAVEN -- The final three victims of the eight shot to death in a killing rampage were laid to rest Monday in Mississippi.
Friends and relatives gathered in a middle school auditorium to celebrate the lives of Barbara Mitchell, Brenda May and Toccara May, The Daily Leader reported.
Willie Cory Godbolt is accused of killing eight people, including Lincoln County Sheriff's Deputy William Durr, at three separate homes May 27 and 28 in rural Lincoln County. Aside from Durr, everyone killed was a relative or acquaintance of Godbolt.
"It's not easy to do funerals of people you know, kids you know," the Rev. Eugene Edwards said in the eulogy. "I'd like to thank the families and the preachers here throughout the entire weekend. I don't wish this on anybody."
The funeral was the last in the series for the victims that began Thursday and went through the weekend.
Mourners remembered Mitchell, 55, for the special way she touched people's lives; Brenda May, 53, for her love of family and helping others; and Toccara May, 53, for her style.
1. Starkville Walmart murder suspect had criminal history STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Second child involved in Sunday wreck dies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Caledonia boy, grandmother die in wreck COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Officer fired for pointing gun at subdued suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Architectural plans in place for downtown hotel COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY