April 22, 2010 9:38:00 AM
STARKVILLE -- The second day of the Oktibbeha County Circuit Court term resulted in a number of drug convictions and sentences Tuesday.
Kitchens and Judge Lee Howard also issued sentences to a handful of violent offenders.
pickle commented at 4/22/2010 11:17:00 AM:
Seven years for armed robbery, ten years for possession of a controlled substance. Do judges and legislators think this stuff through, or are they so focused on the "war on drugs" that they're blinded to the role that they have been elected/appointed to serve?
Courtwatcher commented at 4/22/2010 9:37:00 PM:
The armed robbers will serve all serve years of their sentence in other words "seven years means seven years." The possession of a controlled substance will in all likelihood serve one year or less on the drug charge.
victim commented at 4/23/2010 11:01:00 AM:
pickle... what you probably don't know is those that have these drug charges usually commit way more crimes that they don't get caught or punished for.... and then they get off spending way less than half of the time they are sentenced get out and do it again....
pickle commented at 4/23/2010 11:42:00 AM:
So now we're punishing people for crimes that we figure they probably committed?
war on your own people commented at 4/23/2010 1:51:00 PM:
convicted felon on probation, guilty of AGGRAVATED assault gets one year. the armed robbers get seven years(and no "coutwatcher" they won't serve the full seven years)and they give the tougher sentences to the drug offenders, even though rehab would be cheaper and more worthwhile to society, they'll definatly be hardened criminals when they get out. no good can come out of a war on your own citizens.
1. Police release more details on cold case murder arrest COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Defendant shows up to court high COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Having a voice: Tyler Edmonds seeks compensation from Mississippi for three years he spent in prison COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Documents: Nicholas seeks tourism rebate for hotel, won't pursue local TIF funds STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Man accused of stealing meat from Sunflower found not guilty COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY