March 9, 2009
A man who escaped from the Clay County Jail almost a month ago is back behind bars.
Herman Gene McGee, who had been on the run since Feb. 13, was recaptured Saturday morning at a mobile home on Shurfield Road in Oktibbeha County.
"I received a tip Saturday morning and we went and picked him up with the cooperation of the Oktibbeha County Sheriff''s Department and the Mississippi Highway Patrol," said Clay County Assistant Chief Deputy Eddie Scott.
McGee was arrested without incident.
"We think he must have been in the bed sleeping," said Scott. "We got him back home."
McGee escaped by jumping over a fence during a prison yard call.
He had been arrested two days prior to his escape for an aggravated assault charge and a violation of probation charge from the Mississippi Department of Corrections. McGee was on probation for an eight-year prison sentence he received in 2004 stemming from a cocaine possession charge he received in Oktibbeha County.
McGee will appear before the grand jury in April, with a new count of prison escape tacked on to the charges he will face.
He is being held without bond.
1. Man shot on 7th Avenue Tuesday afternoon COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. City, store owner clash after Tuesday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Mayor seeks moratorium at Princess COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Lawyers, adviser crafting RFP for Oktibbeha's hospital STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. CPD makes arrest in Princess Theater shooting case COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY