August 21, 2017 11:23:16 AM
Columbus police have a suspect in custody following a shots-fired call Sunday night at the 1400 block of Fourth Avenue South.
Officers arrested a 16-year-old male at about 7:25 p.m., according to Columbus Public Information Officer Joe Dillon, on counts of disobeying a police officer and disorderly conduct.
Dillon said four juveniles were in the area -- about a block from the Lowndes County Juvenile Detention Center -- when the suspect allegedly fired a gun in the air five times. The juveniles then ran from the scene.
Police responded to the area and arrested the juvenile, but Dillon said officers have not found the weapon.
The nearby Mississippi University for Women campus locked down for about 30 minutes while police investigated, according to a university official.
No one was injured in the incident.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Brown picks former SHS teacher for recognition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Feeding the needy: Food drives lend helping hand for Thanksgiving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A truly multi-purpose playground COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY