August 21, 2017 11:23:16 AM
Columbus police have a suspect in custody following a shots-fired call Sunday night at the 1400 block of Fourth Avenue South.
Officers arrested a 16-year-old male at about 7:25 p.m., according to Columbus Public Information Officer Joe Dillon, on counts of disobeying a police officer and disorderly conduct.
Dillon said four juveniles were in the area -- about a block from the Lowndes County Juvenile Detention Center -- when the suspect allegedly fired a gun in the air five times. The juveniles then ran from the scene.
Police responded to the area and arrested the juvenile, but Dillon said officers have not found the weapon.
The nearby Mississippi University for Women campus locked down for about 30 minutes while police investigated, according to a university official.
No one was injured in the incident.
1. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Caledonia student arrested for weapon possession may have been bullied COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man gets 40 years for killing cousin COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY