August 24, 2017 11:04:00 PM
A 20-year-old Starkville resident is dead and another person is in custody after a Thursday shooting at Brookville Gardens.
Oktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt confirmed Deontay M. Rogers was pronounced dead after he was admitted to OCH Regional Medical Center about 9:21 p.m.
SPD Frank Nichols said one person was in custody, but the agency did not release that person's identity or any other information about the incident.
Nichols also confirmed another unconnected shooting occurred Thursday but did not release any details.
The Dispatch will update this story as more information becomes available.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Caledonia student arrested for weapon possession may have been bullied COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Liver transplant surgeries for Columbus mother and daughter a success COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Former alderman: LGBT issues expected under 'lesbian leadership' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY