August 30, 2017 10:21:06 AM
GREENWOOD -- Supervisors in one Mississippi county are delaying a decision on residents' request to put a black history monument near a Confederate statue outside the local courthouse.
The Greenwood Commonwealth reports that Leflore County supervisors heard the request but took no action Monday.
The Confederate soldier statue has stood outside the Leflore County Courthouse since 1913. It is among dozens of similar monuments in Mississippi.
Officials in Attala County and McComb also could consider moving Confederate monuments from public property.
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes supes OK budget with deficit, tax increase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Human remains discovered on banks of Tenn-Tom COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Bucket-list rides STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY