September 1, 2017 11:10:03 AM
Oktibbeha County resident Jerry Lee Obrien, 38, will be arraigned in justice court Friday after he was arrested in connection to an Aug. 24 shooting on Willie Road.
Obrien faces two counts of aggravated assault and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon.
Oktibbeha County deputies responded to a Willie Road residence about 8:30 p.m., after a 20-year-old male had been shot once.
The victim was transported to OCH Regional Medical Center and eventually airlifted to the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson.
An Oktibbeha County Sheriff's Department press release last listed the victim in stable condition.
Investigators believe a roadside argument led to the shooting.
The suspect allegedly exited an early 2000s model Chevy Malibu, fired about three or four shots at the victim and his vehicle, and then fled the scene with two or three other people.
The victim drove himself from the scene.
A 5-year-old child was also in the victim's vehicle at the time of the shooting but was not injured.
Anyone with information about this or any other incident should call OCSD at 662-323-2421 or the Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers 800-530-7151.
Crime Stoppers may offer a cash reward for information that leads to a conviction.
Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch
1. SPD: Shooting victim in stable condition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Problem solver: LINK intern spends summer developing research-based guide for Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Cashing in on life's lemons: Inaugural Lemonade Day in Starkville draws young entrepreneurs from across area STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Trial set for house parent accused of sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Person injured in reported accidental shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY