September 11, 2017 9:52:16 AM
STARKVILLE -- Events at Mississippi State University are commemorating the centennial of World War I.
A university news release says that on Thursday, veterans of later wars will discuss correspondence by soldiers in the war fought from 1914 to 1918.
An Oct. 12 presentation is called "The Choctaw Code Talkers of World War I." A documentary called "Choctaw Code Talkers" will be shown. It was released in 2010 by Native American Public Telecommunications Inc.
A Nov. 16 presentation is called "Poetry and the Poppy: 'In Flanders Fields' and One Woman's Role in Creating a Symbol of Remembrance." Veterans and audience members will read from the war poem by Lt. Col. John McCrae, a Canadian physician whose verses focused on the flowers he saw growing on graves of fallen soldiers.
1. Cracker Barrel employee shot at restaurant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CMSD board approves sale of Lee Middle property COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Prather named interim CEO for Partnership STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Arrest report 6-21-18 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY