September 11, 2017 9:52:16 AM
STARKVILLE -- Events at Mississippi State University are commemorating the centennial of World War I.
A university news release says that on Thursday, veterans of later wars will discuss correspondence by soldiers in the war fought from 1914 to 1918.
An Oct. 12 presentation is called "The Choctaw Code Talkers of World War I." A documentary called "Choctaw Code Talkers" will be shown. It was released in 2010 by Native American Public Telecommunications Inc.
A Nov. 16 presentation is called "Poetry and the Poppy: 'In Flanders Fields' and One Woman's Role in Creating a Symbol of Remembrance." Veterans and audience members will read from the war poem by Lt. Col. John McCrae, a Canadian physician whose verses focused on the flowers he saw growing on graves of fallen soldiers.
1. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Aldermen shoot down Pride parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Defendant sentenced to 40 years for second-degree murder COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police make attempted kidnapping arrest STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY