September 19, 2017 10:37:31 AM
A Columbus man is dead following a head-on collision near New Hope Monday.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant identified the victim as Corey Michael Thompson, 29.
Deputies with Lowndes County Sheriff's Office are still investigating the accident which occurred about noon on Yorkville Road, LCSO Chief Deputy Marc Miley said. Thompson was driving a blue Toyota Camry east toward New Hope when his vehicle struck a silver Honda Accord headed west toward Columbus.
Merchant pronounced Thompson dead at the scene at about 12:40 p.m.
Miley said the Honda's driver, a juvenile whose identity authorities have not released, was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle with what appeared to be non life-threatening injuries.
Miley said there is no evidence to suggest either driver was intoxicated.
1. Mary Kay grant comes in nick of time for Safe Haven COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Welty Gala: Toobin touches on Supreme Court, Trump tweets and journalism COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus woman jailed on forgery charge COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Dist. 38 candidates face off in forum STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Living life in pink STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY