October 11, 2017 11:10:01 AM
An Oktibbeha County man is in jail for a slew of charges arising from a Saturday evening incident when he allegedly shot at officers on Old Mayhew Road.
Oktibbeha County Sheriff's Office deputies arrested Michael P. Davidson, 35, on suspicion of two counts of shooting into a dwelling, one count of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, burglary of a dwelling and felony malicious mischief.
Davidson also assaulted two detention officers at the Oktibbeha County Jail and has been charged with two counts of assault on a detention officer.
Deputies were dispatched to 193 Old Mayhew Road, which is Davidson's residence, on Saturday evening to conduct a resident welfare check, according to a sheriff's office press release. The deputies couldn't locate the subject of the check.
The deputies returned to the scene a short time later, at about 8:30 p.m., after receiving a report of gunshots being fired. Deputies heard multiple gunshots coming from a nearby apartment, according to the release, and attempted to contact the suspect in the apartment.
Davidson reportedly fired several rounds in the deputies' direction as they attempted to contact him, then he fled his apartment. He broke into another apartment, where he got into a short fight with that apartment's resident, and fled again.
Deputies arrested Davidson after a short foot chase.
He was arraigned in Oktibbeha County Justice Court on Monday, and is being held in the Oktibbeha County Jail. His bond is set at $850,000.
1. Mary Kay grant comes in nick of time for Safe Haven COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Welty Gala: Toobin touches on Supreme Court, Trump tweets and journalism COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Columbus woman jailed on forgery charge COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Dist. 38 candidates face off in forum STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Living life in pink STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY