October 18, 2017 10:53:55 AM
A former Starkville Utilities Department administrative assistant was arrested Monday for embezzling money while working for the department.
According to a Starkville Police Department press release, Billye J. Asherbranner, of Steens, turned herself in to the department on Monday for a felony warrant.
Municipal Court documents say Asherbranner took almost $2,200 that had been entrusted to her on or about Aug. 22.
Asherbranner was booked in Oktibbeha County Jail on Monday. She was released shortly after her arrest on $5,000 bond.
Her initial court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 6.
Aldermen, during Tuesday's board meeting, voted in executive session to attach a sworn complaint and felony warrant to Asherbranner's city employment file. Asherbranner resigned from SUD Oct. 4, according to city Human Resources Director Navarette Ashford.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. The view from above: Flights offer insight into Wings Over Columbus acts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY