May 11, 2010 9:27:00 AM
The Columbus Planning Commission Monday unanimously approved a permitted-use request to allow a church at 201 K Alabama St. in the Gateway Shopping Center, east of the Food Giant grocery store.
The request was made by the management of the Gateway center, on behalf of Bread of Life House of Worship 2; the area is zoned as a C-3 highway commercial district.
In an unrelated matter, the commission tabled a permitted-use request from Lauretta Tucker to allow a child day care center at 539 Airline Road, just behind and south of the Mexican Kitchen on Alabama Street.
A day care center previously was operated by another owner on the site, which is in an R-1 single-family residential district.
The commission tabled the matter until its June meeting, because Tucker did not attend the meeting to make her request.
1. Cajun seafood restaurant coming to Highway 45 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Parents swarm Starkville middle school after false social media threat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Lowndes investigators search for child abuse suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man gets life sentences for kidnapping, sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. School district, business partners plan strategy for career tech center COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY