May 11, 2010 9:27:00 AM
The Columbus Planning Commission Monday unanimously approved a permitted-use request to allow a church at 201 K Alabama St. in the Gateway Shopping Center, east of the Food Giant grocery store.
The request was made by the management of the Gateway center, on behalf of Bread of Life House of Worship 2; the area is zoned as a C-3 highway commercial district.
In an unrelated matter, the commission tabled a permitted-use request from Lauretta Tucker to allow a child day care center at 539 Airline Road, just behind and south of the Mexican Kitchen on Alabama Street.
A day care center previously was operated by another owner on the site, which is in an R-1 single-family residential district.
The commission tabled the matter until its June meeting, because Tucker did not attend the meeting to make her request.
1. Columbus man dies in head-on crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes supes OK budget with deficit, tax increase COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Area students check out college options COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Human remains discovered on banks of Tenn-Tom COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Bucket-list rides STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY