May 11, 2010 9:27:00 AM
The Columbus Planning Commission Monday unanimously approved a permitted-use request to allow a church at 201 K Alabama St. in the Gateway Shopping Center, east of the Food Giant grocery store.
The request was made by the management of the Gateway center, on behalf of Bread of Life House of Worship 2; the area is zoned as a C-3 highway commercial district.
In an unrelated matter, the commission tabled a permitted-use request from Lauretta Tucker to allow a child day care center at 539 Airline Road, just behind and south of the Mexican Kitchen on Alabama Street.
A day care center previously was operated by another owner on the site, which is in an R-1 single-family residential district.
The commission tabled the matter until its June meeting, because Tucker did not attend the meeting to make her request.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Brown picks former SHS teacher for recognition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Feeding the needy: Food drives lend helping hand for Thanksgiving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. A truly multi-purpose playground COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY