October 25, 2017 10:39:58 AM
A man is behind bars in Clay County in connection with a West Point shooting.
Officers with West Point Police Department arrested George Mario Gill, 39, Tuesday morning after Gill allegedly opened fire downtown. WPPD Chief Avery Cook said Gill got involved in an altercation with the victim on Stonewall Street and shot him in the hand.
Gill then attempted to flee in a vehicle, leading police and county officials on a chase that ended when he wrecked in the northeast part of Clay County, Cook said. The chase lasted about 10 minutes.
Cook said the victim suffered a minor wound to the hand.
Gill, who Cook said has a prior aggravated assault charge, has been charged with attempted murder, felony fleeing and possession of a firearm by a felon. His bond has not been set, according to a press release from Clay County Sheriff's Office.
Anyone with information on the crime is asked to call WPPD at 662-494-1244, CCSO at 662-494-2896 or Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers at 1-800-530-7151.
1. MSU alum, convenience store owner gives away Rally Bananas to MSU fans in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Four arrested for hotel robbery STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Teen arrested for holding two people at gunpoint STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. City contractor appointed to CLW board COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CMSD board approves sale of Lee Middle property COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY