October 26, 2017 11:22:02 AM
West Point selectmen terminated a police department investigator's employment during a special-call meeting Wednesday.
Det. Shaun Keller was fired for misconduct, Mayor Robbie Robinson said.
The news came the day after Robinson confirmed WPPD or an officer in the department were under investigation, though he has not commented what agency is handling it. A source with knowledge of the investigation told The Dispatch the Attorney General's Office was investigating an officer for embezzlement of at least $3,000 from an evidence locker.
Robinson said no arrests have been made in the investigation, and he would not confirm whether Keller was the subject of the investigation.
WPPD Chief Avery Cook, who was appointed last month, discovered the money was missing and contacted the AG's Office, according to the source.
The AG's Office does not confirm or deny investigations per office policy, a spokesperson said. WPPD officials also did not confirm the investigation.
1. Trial set for house parent accused of sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. SPD: Shooting victim in stable condition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Problem solver: LINK intern spends summer developing research-based guide for Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Cashing in on life's lemons: Inaugural Lemonade Day in Starkville draws young entrepreneurs from across area STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. One man killed in weekend shooting in West Point COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY