October 26, 2017 11:22:02 AM
West Point selectmen terminated a police department investigator's employment during a special-call meeting Wednesday.
Det. Shaun Keller was fired for misconduct, Mayor Robbie Robinson said.
The news came the day after Robinson confirmed WPPD or an officer in the department were under investigation, though he has not commented what agency is handling it. A source with knowledge of the investigation told The Dispatch the Attorney General's Office was investigating an officer for embezzlement of at least $3,000 from an evidence locker.
Robinson said no arrests have been made in the investigation, and he would not confirm whether Keller was the subject of the investigation.
WPPD Chief Avery Cook, who was appointed last month, discovered the money was missing and contacted the AG's Office, according to the source.
The AG's Office does not confirm or deny investigations per office policy, a spokesperson said. WPPD officials also did not confirm the investigation.
1. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Man gets 40 years for killing cousin COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Attempted kidnapping suspect back in jail STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY