November 10, 2017 11:38:32 AM
A West Point man is behind bars for an assault that landed one person in the hospital for facial reconstructive surgery.
Deputies with Clay County Sheriff's Office arrested Raheem Johnson, 23, at about noon Thursday. A CCSO press release said Johnson's arrest stemmed from an incident in a bar in the western part of Clay County.
Johnson allegedly struck the victim in the face with a beer bottle, the press release said. The victim was taken to a Memphis, Tennessee, hospital for facial reconstruction surgery.
Johnson is charged with one count of aggravated assault manifesting in extreme indifference to life. He is currently in custody at Clay County Jail and his bond has not been set.
CCSO is still investigating the assault and Sheriff Eddie Scott has asked anyone with information on the crime to call his office at 662-494-2896 or Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers at 1-800-530-7151.
1. Inmate dies at Lowndes County jail COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Brown picks former SHS teacher for recognition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Slimantics: 110-year-old poster a memento of legendary MSU-Ole Miss game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Feeding the needy: Food drives lend helping hand for Thanksgiving COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: CVB offers compromise on 2-percent tax COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY