November 10, 2017 11:38:32 AM
A West Point man is behind bars for an assault that landed one person in the hospital for facial reconstructive surgery.
Deputies with Clay County Sheriff's Office arrested Raheem Johnson, 23, at about noon Thursday. A CCSO press release said Johnson's arrest stemmed from an incident in a bar in the western part of Clay County.
Johnson allegedly struck the victim in the face with a beer bottle, the press release said. The victim was taken to a Memphis, Tennessee, hospital for facial reconstruction surgery.
Johnson is charged with one count of aggravated assault manifesting in extreme indifference to life. He is currently in custody at Clay County Jail and his bond has not been set.
CCSO is still investigating the assault and Sheriff Eddie Scott has asked anyone with information on the crime to call his office at 662-494-2896 or Golden Triangle Crime Stoppers at 1-800-530-7151.
1. SPD: Shooting victim in stable condition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Problem solver: LINK intern spends summer developing research-based guide for Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Cashing in on life's lemons: Inaugural Lemonade Day in Starkville draws young entrepreneurs from across area STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Trial set for house parent accused of sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Person injured in reported accidental shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY