November 22, 2017 11:03:34 AM
A Caledonia man accused of multiple felonies, including previous sexual battery and drug charges, was arrested after an altercation with Lowndes County Sheriff's Office deputies last week during which he stole an officer's Taser.
Brian Steven Heinz, 36, of 139 Dodson Road, was arrested Nov. 16 and charged with making abusive calls to 911, resisting arrest, robbery and simple assault on a law enforcement officer, according to a LCSO press release.
The incident began when Heinz allegedly made multiple phone calls to 911 only to flee the scene before deputies responded, the press release said. Deputies eventually caught up with Heinz on Dodson Road near his home where they took him into custody. Heinz resisted during the arrest.
After deputies arrived at the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center, Heinz was being booked when he charged a detention officer and stole the officer's Taser, the press release said. He then attempted to use the Taser on the officer before deputies tackled him and took the weapon.
Authorities believe Heinz was under the influence of ice methamphetamines and possibly other substances during the arrest.
Heinz was previously out on $25,000 for a September sexual battery arrest. His bondsman surrendered that bond. Heinz is currently in custody at Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
1. Air Force Base receives best-ever inspection rating in 2017 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Courage and class: New Hope teacher uses her breast cancer fight to impart life lessons COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Winning Market Street artist overcomes heavy odds COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Starkville works to improve cash monitoring after Parks embezzlement STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Tabernacle shooting suspect nabbed in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY