November 28, 2017 10:24:00 AM
Students at Mississippi University for Women's Kincannon Hall awoke to the smell of gas this morning, prompting an evacuation of the dorm residence.
Students first noticed the smell at about 5 a.m., and first responders were called to the scene to investigate, university spokesperson Anika Perkins said. Students were evacuated to nearby Stark Recreation Center, and 28 students were taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
Columbus Fire and Rescue responded to the scene, CFR Public Information Officer Anthony Colom said. They determined a boiler in the basement began leaking gas, filling the entire dorm with high levels of carbon monoxide.
Perkins said all 28 students at the hospital were alert and responsive and said the university Dean of Students is with them.
Authorities gave the all-clear, and students began going back to Kincannon Hall at about 7:30 or 8 a.m., Perkins said.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Skull identified as missing son of former Columbus police chief COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY