January 2, 2018 10:20:39 AM
Mississippi Highway Patrol responded to eight vehicle accidents, with no fatalities, in Troop G over the New Year's holiday weekend, according to troop Master Sgt. Criss Turnipseed.
None of the accidents appeared to be alcohol related, Turnipseed said, officers in Troop G arrested made nine arrests in separate incidents for misdemeanor driving under the influence during the holiday weekend, which began at 6 p.m. Friday and lasted through midnight Monday.
In addition to DUIs, officers wrote tickets for 34 seat belt violations, two child restraint violations and assisted 12 motorists.
Troop G includes the Golden Triangle and surrounding counties.
Statewide, MHP investigated 119 collisions, six of which were alcohol related. One wreck resulted in a fatality.
1. Lee Middle deal possibly a month away COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Innovation Challenge gives young entrepreneurs a head start STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CAFB air show reduced to one day COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY