January 12, 2018 11:11:37 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
A Starkville man was arrested Thursday morning for allegedly shooting into a vehicle during a "road rage" incident on Highway 82.
Deputies with Lowndes County Sheriff's Office arrested Mark Bealanger Thomas, 45, who has been charged with aggravated assault manifesting in extreme indifference to life.
Investigators said LCSO received a call from a driver at about 8 a.m. reporting he had been driving on Highway 82 near Highway 45 South when he passed Thomas' vehicle. Thomas, while driving, pulled out a gun and shot through his window and into the victim's back window, nearly striking the victim in the head.
LCSO Chief Deputy Marc Miley said Thomas was driving a Toyota 4Runner and kept driving after the shot was fired. Officers stopped Thomas near the Columbus city limits on Community Road.
The victim was driving a Ford F-150.
The victim reported Thomas was on his cell phone when he passed, according to Deputy Tony Cooper. Cooper added Mississippi law does not prohibit individuals from carrying handguns in their cars without conceal carry permits.
Thomas has been released from Lowndes County Adult Detention Center on $5,000 bond.
1. SPD: Shooting victim in stable condition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Problem solver: LINK intern spends summer developing research-based guide for Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Cashing in on life's lemons: Inaugural Lemonade Day in Starkville draws young entrepreneurs from across area STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Person injured in reported accidental shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Photos: Sturgis Bike Rally STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY