January 13, 2018 10:18:26 PM
JACKSON -- Mississippi's health department is giving away radon test kits this month.
Radon is an odorless, colorless gas and is the second-leading cause of lung cancer nationwide. More than 20,000 people die of radon-related lung cancer annually.
The Mississippi State Department of Health Radon Program says excessive radon levels have been found in all 50 states. In Mississippi, experts say fewer than 3 percent of homes have radon levels in excess of recommended action levels. However, because of the geology in Mississippi, higher levels of radon are typically measured in northeastern Mississippi counties.
Call the MSDH Radon Hotline at 1-800-626-7739 for a free test kit while supplies last.
The department doesn't service homes for high radon levels but can assist homeowners in locating approved contractors for resolving any radon problems found.
1. Story of Columbus teen on death row airs on Headline News COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Future of Ryan's uncertain COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. A house to love: The Haven, historic downtown home, passes to new ownership COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Restaurant tax: Smith, Younger agree on reducing restaurant tax floor COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police searching for suspect in death of Starkville woman STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY