January 13, 2018 10:18:26 PM
JACKSON -- Mississippi's health department is giving away radon test kits this month.
Radon is an odorless, colorless gas and is the second-leading cause of lung cancer nationwide. More than 20,000 people die of radon-related lung cancer annually.
The Mississippi State Department of Health Radon Program says excessive radon levels have been found in all 50 states. In Mississippi, experts say fewer than 3 percent of homes have radon levels in excess of recommended action levels. However, because of the geology in Mississippi, higher levels of radon are typically measured in northeastern Mississippi counties.
Call the MSDH Radon Hotline at 1-800-626-7739 for a free test kit while supplies last.
The department doesn't service homes for high radon levels but can assist homeowners in locating approved contractors for resolving any radon problems found.
1. County 'blindsides' city with increased tax collection fee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus man arrested for allegedly molesting child COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CHS championship basketball coach leaves after one year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Two injured when car crashes into Subway COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Woman arrested after allegedly attacking husband for third time this year COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY