January 13, 2018 10:18:26 PM
JACKSON -- Mississippi's health department is giving away radon test kits this month.
Radon is an odorless, colorless gas and is the second-leading cause of lung cancer nationwide. More than 20,000 people die of radon-related lung cancer annually.
The Mississippi State Department of Health Radon Program says excessive radon levels have been found in all 50 states. In Mississippi, experts say fewer than 3 percent of homes have radon levels in excess of recommended action levels. However, because of the geology in Mississippi, higher levels of radon are typically measured in northeastern Mississippi counties.
Call the MSDH Radon Hotline at 1-800-626-7739 for a free test kit while supplies last.
The department doesn't service homes for high radon levels but can assist homeowners in locating approved contractors for resolving any radon problems found.
1. Air Force Base receives best-ever inspection rating in 2017 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Courage and class: New Hope teacher uses her breast cancer fight to impart life lessons COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Winning Market Street artist overcomes heavy odds COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Tabernacle shooting suspect nabbed in Tennessee COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville works to improve cash monitoring after Parks embezzlement STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY