January 15, 2018 10:14:19 AM
Two people died after a car accident Sunday morning at the intersection of Highway 45 and Spurline Road.
Dorothy Bunton, 54, of Orlando, Florida and her 10-year-old grandson, Raymond Matthew Karr Jr., were both passengers in a 1997 Ford pickup that was hit by a tractor-trailer on Highway 45 just after 8:30 a.m. Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant pronounced them both dead at the scene.
Driving the pickup was Bunton's husband, James Bunton, 61, also of Orlando, according to a Mississippi Highway Patrol press release. He was flown to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo, and another passenger, a 9-year-old from Columbus, was flown to Children's Hospital in Jackson, Merchant said.
Karr was a fourth grader at Caledonia Elementary School.
The driver of the tractor trailer suffered minor injuries.
The accident occurred when the Ford was driving east on Land Road toward Spurline Road, as it crossed the intersection with Highway 45. The intersection is a two-way stop.
MHP is investigating the accident.
1. Trial set for house parent accused of sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. SPD: Shooting victim in stable condition STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Problem solver: LINK intern spends summer developing research-based guide for Golden Triangle COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. One man killed in weekend shooting in West Point COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Cashing in on life's lemons: Inaugural Lemonade Day in Starkville draws young entrepreneurs from across area STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY