January 15, 2018 10:14:19 AM
Two people died after a car accident Sunday morning at the intersection of Highway 45 and Spurline Road.
Dorothy Bunton, 54, of Orlando, Florida and her 10-year-old grandson, Raymond Matthew Karr Jr., were both passengers in a 1997 Ford pickup that was hit by a tractor-trailer on Highway 45 just after 8:30 a.m. Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant pronounced them both dead at the scene.
Driving the pickup was Bunton's husband, James Bunton, 61, also of Orlando, according to a Mississippi Highway Patrol press release. He was flown to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo, and another passenger, a 9-year-old from Columbus, was flown to Children's Hospital in Jackson, Merchant said.
Karr was a fourth grader at Caledonia Elementary School.
The driver of the tractor trailer suffered minor injuries.
The accident occurred when the Ford was driving east on Land Road toward Spurline Road, as it crossed the intersection with Highway 45. The intersection is a two-way stop.
MHP is investigating the accident.
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Paying dividends: West Lowndes students earn big returns in Stock Market Game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville settles Pride lawsuit STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY