Volunteer firefighters with the Lowndes County Fire Department battle flames at 20 Ellis Loop in Artesia. The home was destroyed, but no residents were injured. Photo by: India Yarborough/Dispatch Staff
January 19, 2018 10:55:22 AM
A morning fire Thursday destroyed a house at 20 Ellis Loop in Artesia. None of the house's six residents are injured, as no one was home when the fire started.
Homeowner Yvonne Lucious, 48, said she was already at work in Starkville when she received a call at 8:15 a.m. from a nephew living in Artesia.
"He was passing by and saw the smoke," Lucious said. "He called and told me my house was on fire."
According to fire coordinator Neal Austin, the Lowndes County Rural Fire Department received a call about 8 a.m. from someone passing by the house. Trucks from Districts 4 and 5 were on the scene five to 10 minutes later.
Austin said the fire department called for backup from the Oktibbeha County Fire Department, but the call was canceled when Lowndes firefighters controlled the flames.
Firefighters battled the blaze for over two hours. The house was left in ruins, with only a crumbling frame remaining.
Lucious said she had lived in the house for 13 years, and at the time of the fire, she was living there with her husband, her oldest daughter and three grandchildren. The kids were at school when the fire started.
Officials are still investigating the cause.
Lucious, an Artesia native, said the family plans to stay at her mother's apartment in Artesia until further notice.
"Lord, I lost everything," Lucious said. "You just can't believe it when your whole house burns down."
1. Columbus man to spend 35 years in MDOC for 2015 club shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Three finalists announced for CMSD superintendent spot COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus-Lowndes Airport manager arrested for embezzlement COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY