January 19, 2018 10:53:36 AM
JACKSON -- A distant cousin of Elvis Presley who might have been Democrats' strongest contender for U.S. Senate in heavily Republican Mississippi says he won't run this year.
Brandon Presley is a public service commissioner. He said Thursday a Senate race would take him away from important issues as a utility regulator, including efforts to expand high-speed internet access to rural areas.
Republican Sen. Roger Wicker is seeking re-election as the GOP tries to maintain congressional majorities. He's promoting himself as a supporter of President Donald Trump.
Wicker was appointed to the Senate in 2007 after Republican Trent Lott resigned. Wicker won a special election in November 2008 and was re-elected in 2012.
Chris McDaniel is a GOP state lawmaker who lost a 2014 Senate race. He is considering challenging Wicker.
1. Two arrested for capital murder in weekend homicide COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CAFB parents jailed for neglect of 7-week-old child COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Lowndes County sportsplex gets green light COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Capital murder suspects denied bond COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CLW weighs offering phone, internet service COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY