January 19, 2018 10:53:36 AM
JACKSON -- A distant cousin of Elvis Presley who might have been Democrats' strongest contender for U.S. Senate in heavily Republican Mississippi says he won't run this year.
Brandon Presley is a public service commissioner. He said Thursday a Senate race would take him away from important issues as a utility regulator, including efforts to expand high-speed internet access to rural areas.
Republican Sen. Roger Wicker is seeking re-election as the GOP tries to maintain congressional majorities. He's promoting himself as a supporter of President Donald Trump.
Wicker was appointed to the Senate in 2007 after Republican Trent Lott resigned. Wicker won a special election in November 2008 and was re-elected in 2012.
Chris McDaniel is a GOP state lawmaker who lost a 2014 Senate race. He is considering challenging Wicker.
1. Cannizaro out as MSU baseball coach STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Pride denied: Aldermen shoot down LGBT parade request STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Petition calls for Baptist to reinstate privileges for longtime OBGYN COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Caledonia student arrested for weapon possession may have been bullied COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Liver transplant surgeries for Columbus mother and daughter a success COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY