January 19, 2018 10:53:51 AM
A man who allegedly bit a police officer is in custody at Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
Brian Keith Bishop, 36, of 313 Marshall Dr., is charged with aggravated assault on a police officer as well as several misdemeanors, for allegedly biting a narcotics officer while attempting to run from a drug arrest, according to a Columbus Police Department press release.
After Bishop's car stopped in the 2200 block of Main Street near the Salvation Army office Thursday, a CPD officer stopped to assist him. While approaching the vehicle, the officer smelled marijuana and called for back-up. Members of the joint drug task force arrived to assist the officer, and Bishop attempted to flee on foot. A narcotics agent chased him and, once he caught up with Bishop, the suspect bit him.
The officer has not been identified but was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle where he was treated with stitches in his hand and released, the press release said.
In addition to the aggravated assault charge, Bishop has been charged with failure to obey a police officer, possession of marijuana and resisting arrest.
Bishop's bond has not been set.
1. DJ pleads guilty to 2015 shooting at Heidi Ho COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Columbus resident arrested for possession of child pornography COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Ex-Columbus HS teacher found guilty of soliciting student for sex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Paying dividends: West Lowndes students earn big returns in Stock Market Game COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Starkville settles Pride lawsuit STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY