January 23, 2018 10:51:42 AM
JACKSON -- Mississippi is reporting its first pediatric flu death of the current season.
The state Health Department said Monday that the death happened in the southern part of the state. Spokeswoman Liz Sharlot says the department could not disclose where or when it occurred.
However, Forrest County Coroner Butch Benedict tells the Hattiesburg American that a 2-year-old girl from Sumrall died Sunday of flu complications.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says 30 pediatric flu deaths have occurred in the United States this season.
The only Mississippi flu deaths that must be reported are for people younger than 18.
The Health Department has collected pediatric flu statistics since 2008. There have been 17 deaths since then, including the latest.
The department recommends flu shots for people 6 months and older.
1. Trio gets 40 years for pizza delivery robberies COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. CAFB pilots released from hospital after crash COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Check warns Oktibbeha County 'not big enough' for two ambulance services STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Man faces assault charge for Columbus shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Three finalists picked for CMSD superintendent job COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY