May 24, 2010 10:49:00 AM
STARKVILLE -- A bond hearing is expected today in Starkville for a man suspected in a fatal Saturday shooting.
Starkville Municipal Court officials say Dennis Thompson, 18, is expected to appear before a judge at 6 p.m. today. Thompson is the alleged gunman in a shooting at a high school graduation party Saturday at Club 124, which left Curtis Randle, 25, of 110 Leflore St. in Starkville, dead and three others injured.
Oktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt pronounced Randle dead at 1:41 a.m. Saturday. His body was found lying in the middle of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.
An autopsy performed Sunday in Jackson confirmed the cause of death as homicide by gunshots. Hunt was not at liberty to divulge how many times Randle was shot or where he was struck.
Funeral services for Randle have not been finalized.
Officers responded to the shooting outside Club 124, at the intersection of Highway 182 and D.L. Conner Drive at 1:11 a.m.
"Upon arrival, (officers) found one person down and three (had been) transported to the Oktibbeha County hospital," SPD Sgt. Chadd Garnett said.
Of those transported to OCH Regional Medical Center, one was treated and released and two were admitted in stable condition, Garnett said. He declined to release the names and ages of the victims. An update on the wounded victims'' conditions was unavailable by press time today.
About 4 a.m. Saturday, Thompson was arrested and charged with murder and three counts of aggravated assault in the shooting.
Thompson, a football player at Starkville High School, just completed his junior year.
The investigation into the shooting is ongoing, Garnett said.
1. CPD officer suspended for Facebook posts COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Childhood home of noted Disney animator, painter Joshua Meador is on the market COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Proposed pay raise for councilmen fails COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Woman arrested for alleged box cutter attack COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Building hope: World Changers mission takes on 14 projects in Lowndes Co. COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY