January 31, 2018 10:02:33 AM
Lowndes Sheriff's deputies arrested a woman Monday for identity theft.
Kristy Kay McWilliams, 35, was arrested at her home at 4404 Highway 12 E. Monday after she allegedly stole checks out of a friend's father's truck.
The victim reported the crime Sunday, saying he didn't know when the checks were stolen, according to the initial police report. He said he found someone had written a check to 4-County for $258 on Jan. 12, and five days later another check was written to McWilliams for $100. Both checks contained the victim's signature, but the victim said he didn't sign them.
The victim also said two electronic withdrawals had gone through, one for $35 on Jan. 19 and another for $173 on Jan. 22, according to the report.
The victim's son, who is a friend of McWilliams, told his father McWilliams was not the one who took the checks.
McWilliams has been charged with one count of identity theft. Her bond has not been set.
1. Cajun seafood restaurant coming to Highway 45 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Sweet Adeline: Child's future hangs in balance as Columbus family awaits liver transplant COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Parents swarm Starkville middle school after false social media threat STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Lowndes investigators search for child abuse suspect COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Man gets life sentences for kidnapping, sexual battery COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY