January 31, 2018 10:02:40 AM
A Lowndes County man is behind bars for domestic violence-aggravated assault after he allegedly beat a woman with a pool cue.
Deputies with Lowndes County Sheriff's Office arrested Jeffrey Jermaine Barker, 36, of 3906 Highway 373, at his residence Monday after receiving a 911 call about an altercation at the residence, according to the initial police report.
Deputies first responded to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle where they'd received reports a man was being treated for a stab wound, the report said. When they got there, nurses told them no one was there who had been stabbed. Dispatchers at E911 then told deputies an ambulance had been called to the Highway 373 residence.
Deputies arrived at the home to find the victim, who told them she and Barker had gotten into an argument over him selling narcotics, the report said. The argument turned physical, and the victim said she stabbed Barker in the arm with a screw driver in self defense. She also told deputies he hit her repeatedly with a pool cue.
After the victim drove herself to the hospital, deputies and investigators who arrived to process the scene noticed a vehicle driving past the house, the report said. The deputies followed it to a nearby address and arrested Barker there. They also found a small bag of marijuana in the residence but could not prove who it belonged to.
Barker is charged with one count of aggravated domestic assault and one misdemeanor count of failure to appear. His bond has not been set.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Former alderman: LGBT issues expected under 'lesbian leadership' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Attempted kidnapping suspect back in custody after manhunt STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Bond reinstated for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lawsuit looms for Starkville over parade denial STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY