March 12, 2009
Funeral services for a well-known local blues musician will be held Sunday afternoon in Aliceville, Ala., officials with the Alabama Blues Project announced this morning.
Willie King, 66, died at the Noxubee General Hospital March 8, several hours after performing in Columbus at the Arts Council''s Omnova Theater.
His funeral is scheduled for 2 p.m. Sunday at the Aliceville City Hall at 419 Memorial Parkway N.E. A wake will be held from 1-3 p.m. Saturday at King''s home in Old Memphis, Ala.
Anyone wishing to contribute to the Willie King Memorial Fund is encouraged to send donations to the West Alabama Bank, P.O. Box 406, Aliceville, Ala., 35442. Checks should be made out to The Willie King Memorial Fund, and all donations mailed to the bank should be marked to the attention of Tammy.
All donations will be used to fund funeral expenses and to create a historic marker in honor of King.
Anyone with questions about the funeral services or the memorial fund should call the Alabama Blues Project at 205-752-6263.
1. EMCC's radio station breaking new ground COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Bulldogs are No. 6 seed in NCAA tourney STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Highway 182 corridor development meeting set STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Photo: Remembering the fallen STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. 25 students begin summer job program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY