February 2, 2018 10:41:05 AM
Two people have died following a head-on collision in Hamilton.
Brandi Jo Barnes, 32, and Malcom L. Houk, 54, both of Hamilton, died late Thursday, according to a press release from Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley. Barnes was driving a 2006 Pontiac heading west on Hamilton Road when her vehicle collided with Houk's 2004 Chevy pickup headed east on the same road. Houk was driving, and his wife was a passenger.
The collision occurred at about 7:30 p.m. near Grubb Springs Road.
Barnes was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the press release. Houk and his wife were both taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle in Columbus where Houk died a few hours later.
Neither Barnes nor Houk was wearing seatbelts, according to the press release.
Monroe County Sheriff's Office is investigating the accident.
1. Hickman fired as CMSD superintendent COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Former alderman: LGBT issues expected under 'lesbian leadership' STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Attempted kidnapping suspect back in custody after manhunt STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Bond reinstated for attempted kidnapping suspect STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lawsuit looms for Starkville over parade denial STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY